Good morning, neighbors! I’m back with your fresh edition of the Orlando Daily, fresh off the presses. Come along for the most important things happening in town, including updates on…
- Bear Hug Brewing is planning to open in the Orlando tourist district in 2023 near theme parks.
- Former Brazilian president Jair Bolsonaro is hiding out in Orlando as he faces a number of investigations at home in Brazil.
- Universal is reducing smoking areas in its theme parks, including at Univeral Studios Florida.
But first, today’s weather:
A t-storm around in the p.m.. High: 82 Low: 67.
🏠 The competition is fierce in Orlando to be the top local real estate agent. With our exclusive newsletter sponsorships, you can stand out from your competitors and attract local clients. Click here to learn more.
Here are the top stories in Orlando today:
1. SeaWorld Orlando has brought back its popular Preschool Card, which gives children 5 and younger free admission to the theme park through 2023. Parents must register online for the card and it is only offered for Florida residents. (Bay News 9)
2. Universal is reducing designated smoking areas in theme parks. There will now be only one smoking location in each Universal theme park. The smoking area in Universal Studios Florida is in Gramercy Park in front of Revenge of the Mummy. (Inside The Magic)
3. Former Brazilian president Jair Bolsonaro is hiding out in Orlando after his loss to Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva in Brazil’s general election back in October. Bolsonaro is facing multiple investigations into abuses of power during his time in office and was well-known ally of former President Donald Trump. (Orlando Weekly)
4. Bear Hug Brewing is planning to open in 2023 in Orlando’s tourist district, according to the company’s business plan. The brewery recently closed on an equity round of $400,000 in December with seven investors, according to U.S. Securities & Exchange Commission (SEC) documents. No official location is available at this time. (Subscription: Orlando Business Journal)
5. OneBlood in celebrating the grand opening of its Apopka Donor Center on Wednesday, Jan. 11. This new state-of-the-art donor center is located in Apopka near State Road 436 and 441. Blood donors will receive a OneBlood long sleeve T-shirt and a $20 eGift card at the new donor center. (The Apopka Voice)
Today in Orlando:
- TopGolf’s $15 Unlimited Play Deal. (10 a.m.)
- Happy Hour + Art at TheFalcon Bar. (5 p.m.)
- The Alfond Inn Happy Hour Tour. (6 p.m.)
- Alaska Farms Goat Yoga Classes. (6 p.m.)
- Blue Swan Boulders Rock Climbing Class. (7 p.m.)
From my notebook:
- Orlando City SC shared: “Back here with all of you next month 💜” (Orlando City SC via Instagram)
- Downtown Orlando shared: “Step back in time Friday morning on our free Historic Walking Tour. Advanced registration required. Spots are limited.” (Downtown Orlando via Instagram)
- Orlando Police Department shared: “Congratulations to OPD Recruit Class 2023-01! 8 new members of the Orlando Police Department were sworn-in by Chief Eric Smith.” (Orlando Police Department via Facebook)
- Orlando Science Center shared: “Orlando Science Center is honored to be a recipient of the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) Food and Nutrition Service’s Farm to School Agricultural Education Grant.” (Orlando Science Center via Instagram)
More from our sponsors — thanks for supporting local news!
- ORLANDO FL LOCK & KEY SINGLES EVENT at Bitters & Bottles • Ages 21-59 • Better than Speed Dating! (January 21)
- Add your event
You’re officially in the loop for today! I’ll be in your inbox tomorrow morning with a new update.
— Carlos Hernandez
About me: Hello my name is Carlos Hernandez and I am a food writer with over 10 years of experience in the industry. I write the food blog Carlos Eats (http://www.carloseats.com) and also contribute to several newspapers and magazines with food-related blogs and articles.
Have a news tip or suggestion for an upcoming Orlando Daily? Contact me at email@example.com